Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Walking Photos

I decided I should start posting some pictures from my trip and I wanted to start with a few images from my last days in Rio. These were taken on my frequent walks around the Lagoa several mornings (sometimes afternoons when I slept in) when I was living in Botafogo with my cousins Nalita and Paulinho. When I moved into Zona Sul and started living in Botafogo it really opened my time up to explore more of the city and what better way to learn my way around but through walking everywhere.

The Lagoa (also known as Lagoa Rodrigo de Freitas) is this huge lake that passes by all the major areas of Zona Sul..Ipanema, Leblon, Copacabana, Jardim Botanica, Gavea. It is definitely a very scenic walk especially on the weekends when the weather is nice. I went a few times then and saw a dramatic difference in terms of the number of people. People rent bikes and ride along the trail and there are lots of little spots where you can stop and have a bite to eat or grab a snack. I like to people watch so I thought it was the really great. Sometimes I would stop and rest at one of the docks on the lake. The total distance of walking around the Lagoa is a little over 4 miles or about 7.5km. It was a nice start to my day. I guess my body wasn't quite prepared for all the walking I had planned because my ankle swelled up one day from all the walking but I wouldn't let it stop me. I was on a mission. I tried to walk through all the major areas of the city and for the most part I met my goal. It was really helpful.

These are a few of the images I gathered during those walks to the Lagoa. These were some things that caught my eye.






No comments: