Sunday, December 13, 2009

NPR





Since I have begun my normal, everyday office job I have started listening to npr to make the time go by faster. I decided to search to see what news they had gathered about Rio with the Olympics and problems with the favelas since it seems to have caused a lot of attention in the media in the last few months. Some of these issues that are discussed, I have been thinking a lot about myself. (Posts to come! I promise!) It's amazing how many conversations I had with people about favelas either by other gringos who were interested in seeing this place (which I fear often times is because of the movie City of God..I in fact had a few people reference it, while we were speaking! Come on! Really! It's a movie! Don't justify your reasonings based off of this!) or by those who lived in other parts of Rio. I myself, began to volunteer in a favela but for a short time.I was jumping around too much, traveling to other places. I think not long enough to really be able to share many thoughts but at least a few. I think it is extremely important to note, each favela is different and some are more dangerous than others. Either way, I wanted to just post some of these news reports that I recently listened to..both positive and negative.



No comments: