Friday, January 7, 2011

New Year New Start

The new year has arrived and boy is there a lot to come in the next couple of months. As I look back at this past year it really is incredible how much can happen over one year. From the beginning of January until now, so much has changed. I feel like I've learned so much about my self through being back in school and returning from Brazil to instantly being on my own again in Baltimore. There are a lot of great new memories that have been made with friend's weddings and gatherings over the summer. But at the same time, it's good to look to the future...

Probably the most important (besides student teaching) and exciting news happening this year will be May Wilson and I collaborating on a show about Brazil opening March 6th, 2011. (this was one of my goals last year!) I've been gathering material the last few days and still have a ways to go but am feeling good about it.

Right now I am trying to focus on a piece about the venedores no onibûs. Here are some images I have been gathering for resources. I'll have pictures of the process of making the piece sometime next week!

This was definitely something I began to encounter on a regular basis when I took the bus. I always tended to catch it during rush hour and that was when the vendors were the most busy suppling cariocas with sweet treats during their commute. Sometimes a commute that could take 20 minutes on a good day could take close to 2 hours. It happened to me on several occasions. :)

I wanted to replicate the bags they carry and considering a performance element in which May and I attempt the same thing here, in Baltimore.






also....

Eu estou indo aprender português na universadade perta na cidade também. Eu falei minha professora no telefone o segunda feira passado e ele disse eu falo bem mas eu precisa mais pratico antes eu volto no Rio. :)


No comments: